Senior Corporate Legal Specialist
An exciting opportunity exists for an individual who will oversee, direct and manage general legal services in the organisation.
Do you listen to your customers, strive to make things beautifully simple? Do you consistently strive to make the people around you better, while making legal operations and processes simpler and more effective? Are you a true partner—for internal and external customers alike?
If you possess the required skills, experience and are an energetic team player interested in joining a dynamic organisation, we have just the role for you.
- Draft, negotiate, vet and/or review of contracts.
- Monitor the contract life cycles.
- Identify legal risks to contracts and propose mitigation.
- Interpret and explain contract clauses and relevant legal principles
- Provide verbal and written legal advice; draft legal opinions; represent the organisation in labour forums where required (e.g. the CCMA, Bargaining Council and other Tribunals).
- Receive and peruse legal documents received by any Unit within the organisation that are forwarded to the Legal Services.
- Provide input/making verbal or written submissions on the legal documents, as is deemed necessary.
- Communicate and provide feedback to the relevant external legal service providers.
- Receive feedback from external legal service provider.
- Monitor and ensure that the external service providers operate within the guidelines of the organisation’s mandate to the service provider.
- Direct and oversee account payments to service providers.
- Provide management with strategic legal input to inform improvement of frameworks, business processes, policies, procedures and systems that manage business operations.
- Comply with legislative requirements from a sub-unit perspective.
- Draft policies and procedures affecting the organisation.
- Lead the process of ensuring legal compliance.
- Oversee and direct, to the extent required, the development or currency of policies and procedures.
- Obtain relevant approvals for litigation in a timely manner.
- Conduct preparation for and manage and administer litigation, or any other dispute resolution proceedings.
- Prepare litigation reports for submission to relevant forums addressing relevant matters, including status, outcomes and costs.
- Develop a communication method for liaising with external service providers
- Communicate and provide feedback to the relevant external providers.
- Ensure that feedback from engagements is filtered back into the unit and the organisation.
- Develop a training plan for legal compliance.
- Design programs aimed at preventing litigation and/or other penalties related to matters such as criminal conduct, financial misconduct, sexual harassment, harassment, workplace discipline, workplace dispute resolution and ethics training.
Knowledge and Understanding:
Knowledge and understanding of all relevant common law principles, legislation, case law, legal tradition and legal writings that govern the Public Entities, including but not limited to, the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, Promotion of Administrative Justice Act, Promotion of Access to Information Act, Promotion of Equality and Prevention of Unfair Discrimination Act, Prevention and Combatting of Corrupt Activities Act, Broadcasting Act, Advertising Standards Authority, Electronic Communications and Transactions Act, Protection of Personal Information Act, Conventional Penalties Act, Public Finance Management Act, Treasury Regulations, Preferential Procurement Policy Framework Act, Broad Based Black Economic Empowerment Act,
Trademarks Act, Copyright Act, Magistrate’s Court Act and Rules, High Courts Acts and Rules, CCMA Rules, Labour Relations Act, Employment Equity Act and the Basic Conditions of Employment Act.
Required Learning and Experience:
- LLB or equivalent legal qualification, LLM will be an added advantage
- Admission as Attorney or Advocate of the High Court of South Africa.
- 6-10 years’ experience as in – house, private or public legal practice, of which at least 3 years should be at a senior level (middle management).
- Knowledge of public service.
- Litigation and contract management experience
- Attention to detail
- Critical thinking
- Innovative forward thinker
- Excellent interpersonal relations
- Customer focus
- Excellent negotiation skills
- A team player
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Problem-solving skills